This week marks our first official ‘DEtour’ podcast. We will be posting these on a (mostly) weekly basis, and they will highlight different topics each week with members of our team. We all have unique perspectives, personalities and stories, so we look forward to letting people get to know us a bit better.
On this week’s episode, Jay, Chris and Cale discuss their recent trip to Los Angeles. They attended VidSummit, a video marketing conference which features industry experts like Gary Vaynerchuk. Along the way, they enjoyed a trip to In-and-Out Burger, had an interesting Uber ride, and learned a lot about getting the most out of video marketing.
Key Takeaways from VidSummit
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket—diversify your online presence with marketing avenues like Facebook, YouTube, Linkedin, etc.
- Your website should serve as the hub of your marketing. Use social media, SEO, email and other components to draw traffic to and from your site.
- Video is very important, but voice content is on the rise because audio allows us to multi-task in a world constantly vying for our attention.
- Every search engine ranks content differently. While Google and Facebook’s search rankings are difficult to predict, podcast results on iTunes are ranked strictly based on the number of total subscriptions in the last 24 hours.
- “The Shrimp Effect”- Rachel Farnsworth, a successful food blogger, told a story about one of her colleagues who created a popular video series about shrimp, but she doesn’t even like shrimp. However, she knew that many other people love shrimp. So she simply found a niche and used that to create content that would be interesting and attractive to people. Important strategy to factor into your marketing plan.
- Five Guys vs. In-N-Out Burger will always be a hotly debated topic.